Rāhina 14 Whiringa-ā-rangi
E ngā kaitohu ā-Rohe, koutou ngā Kōhanga Reo, tēnā koutou katoa
As advised earlier today, due to the 7.5 earthquake early this morning; we are advised by the Ministry of Education that all schools and services from North Canterbury to Wellington should remain closed to today until the buildings have been checked. Some whanau just beyond the greater Wellington Region; in Kapiti Horowhenua and Manawatu, may have also been affected by the earthquake – please review and implement the following plan
- Single story building require a visual check for damage before being re-opened.
- Multi story buildings need to be checked by an engineer before being re-opened.
- Buildings should be approached with caution – check broken glass, fallen light fittings, ceilings, bookshelves and other hazards
- If there are signs of damage to a buildings structure, please notify Kōhanga Reo Trust immediately.
Kōhanga Reo in zones affected by the tsunami warnings are to remain closed while the warnings are in place; although many of these are being lifted. I would appreciate our offices making contact with all Kōhanga Reo (if you haven’t already) in these areas to ensure they are safe and maintain contact with them.
Many thanks to whānau who have called into to advise their situation; and also Kaimahi who have started the process of checking and notifying us of any damage that has resulted from the earthquake. The attached forms are provided to support preliminary checks.
- Post Earthquake building checklist Post Earthquake Building Condition Assessment 14112016
- TKRNT Claims notification (this form will indicate that a claim procedure will follow) TKRNT Claims Notification Form
If you need any further assistance contact your local office; or the following:
0800 KOHANGA (emergency contact is Esther Tinirau)
- Ihipa Smallman – Health and Safety Officer – 021 534 004
- John Cribb – Property Management – 0274 431 749
- Benny Haerewa – Insurance – by email benny@kōhanga.ac.nz
We have a skeleton team on site to cover Kōhanga Reo whanau inquiries and monitoring the situation related to today’s events.
We are awaiting the engineer to check and clear our premises for operation. Until this has been completed please note we do not have a full team on site.
Our preliminary checks look good, however it is necessary that we follow the Councils requirements to ensure the safety of our staff.
Heoi anō e te whanau whānui, ka nui te mihi ki a koutou katoa.